Reference Librarian -- Temple College -- Temple, TX
JOB TITLE: Reference Librarian
SALARY LEVEL: Professional Level 3
TRS/ORP: TRS only
Under the general supervision of the Division Director, Learning Resources, the incumbent performs research and provides reference, instruction and circulation services to students, faculty and staff. The incumbent will assist patrons with library and information needs, oversee interlibrary loan services and maintain library web page content.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent will:
- Assist Temple College students, faculty and staff with library information resources and related research methods.
- Develop, schedule and conduct library bibliographic instruction sessions.
- Perform circulation desk functions.
- Collaborate with faculty to achieve information literacy learning outcomes through provision of bibliographic instruction and subject research guides.
- Collaborate with faculty to coordinate acquisition of appropriate library resources to support curriculum and programs.
- Evaluate library holdings; make recommendations for withdrawal and acquisition of materials.
- Oversee interlibrary loan services; process loan requests from patrons and participating institutions.
- Assist in developing and maintaining the library’s web pages including the creation of original content.
- Create and publish library information resource guides though the LibGuide portal.
- Track and compile electronic resource usage statistics for required reports.
- Oversee library email account; answer reference questions; process material and service requests.
- Place “Holds” on patron accounts as needed in the Voyager and Datatel systems and perform routine tasks on those systems.
- Make recommendations for and participate in the development of the library budget.
- Participate in the development and achievement of annual library goals and objectives.
- Assist in the development of library policies.
- Keep current with modifications to library and college policies and procedures; attend training as necessary to adjust to changes.
- Participate in college committees and councils; attend meetings and commencement ceremonies as required.
- Promote library resources and services to the college community.
- Work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Perform other job related tasks as assigned by the Division Director, Learning Resources.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
Familiarity with common computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite, library information resources and library information systems.
PREFERENCE: Academic library experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of academic research methods utilizing print and electronic resources.
- Knowledge of academic databases and research techniques.
- Knowledge of interlibrary loan services and processes.
- Knowledge of criteria to evaluate library holdings and acquisitions.
- Ability to compile information and create library Research Guides.
- Ability to compile academic research information and disseminate such information through Bibliographic Instruction sessions.
- Knowledge of FERPA policies and procedures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret and evaluate patron information needs.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty on instruction and collection development.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Effective planning, organizational and teaching skills.
- Proficiency in the operation of Integrated Library Systems.
- Utilization of electronic library resources.
- Experience providing reference services.
- Ability to use and assist others with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to implement operational policies and procedures in area of expertise.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interpret library resource usage statistics and generate required reports.
- Ability to place and remove holds using the Datatel user interface.
- Ability to work individually and as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as needed.
Moderate physical activity is required with occasional lifting and manipulation of books or objects up to 35 pounds.
Work is normally performed in an office setting. Duties may require travel in personal or school owned vehicles. This position may require evening and weekend work hours.
SUPERVISOR OF: None.
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Division Director, Learning Resources.