Access Services Librarian -- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin -- Odessa TX
REPORTS TO: Director
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs a variety of managerial and operational duties involving library systems and procedures to provide access to the collection, reference and instruction services and assist patrons in the use of library resources and services. Includes overseeing entire circulation activity, issuing, return and record keeping procedures, supervising library pages, training library assistants in electronic circulation functions and supervising resource sharing and reserves.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program and three years library experience required; that includes a broad base of technical knowledge and skills related to college library circulation and reference service, processes of interlibrary loan and advanced skills in use of computerized reference systems. Ability to deliver and prioritize excellent customer service. Supervisory and training experience. Proficiency with computers and electronic access technologies. Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check. Recent graduates encouraged to apply.
- Oversees all Access Services functions and communicates and enforces the department's policies and procedures. Provides professional reference service to the university, offering a wide range of technical and intellectual assistance and instruction in the use of reference materials. Resolves problems concerning service and borrower eligibility. Oversees those who answer informational and directional questions, along with the work area and daily tasks associated with the automated circulation system, is involved in controlling delinquencies, collecting and depositing fines.
- Oversees staff performing all tasks involving the borrowing and lending of materials from other institutions.
- Oversees staff training in Access Services.
- Oversees stack maintenance that includes re-shelving, inventory projects, and general participation in the weeding process. Selects new reference materials for addition to the library collection.
- Supervises assigned staff and student workers. Provides regular training sessions for student assistants and instructs patrons in the use of the on-line public access catalog. Conducts performance evaluations according to University policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
SCHEDULE: This is an exempt 12-month position and the work schedule is Monday through Friday. As an exempt employee this schedule may vary based on the number of hours needed to meet the job responsibilities. The individual holding this position may need to be available early mornings, evenings and weekends to meet the needs of the office.
OCCUPATIONAL GROUP: Professional
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Direct supervision is received from the Director.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Provides functional supervision to clerical and student workers.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical strength/endurance to enable him/her to perform/participate in the following activities:
- Physically able to lift various materials up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
- While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain seated, frequently to continuously.
- While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain standing up to 15% of the time.
- Possesses dexterity abilities required to operate a computer and other office equipment.
EXPECTATIONS: In this position, he/she would be expected to have or possess:
- Energetic and engaging disposition; ready to assume leadership role for combined library services department.
- Ability to handle highly confidential material, understanding that all University information should only be disclosed to others who have a need to know, for legitimate business reasons. Have the ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data.
- Demonstrates a commitment to regular attendance as well as our academic programs of distinction serving undergraduate and graduate students by providing notable library services and learning resources to support learning, instruction and the pursuit of academic achievement.
- Skilled in the ability to provide reference and retrieval services for students, faculty and other researchers. Educates faculty and students in use of primary research material by in-class presentations to illustrate materials available for public use, and develop pride in the University through understanding of its history and changing role.
- Ability to use and demonstrate a wide variety of library related software applications, including Sierra integrated library system by Innovative Sierra, OCLC Worldshare ILL, Connexion, ProQuest Summon discovery system, Oracle Peoplesoft Enterprise, plethora of research databases, chat/email software and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Collaborates with departments and program units in the University to achieve the University’s strategic goals.
- Possess ability to analyze projects and proposals; develop procedures based on policies; and ability to shift quickly between several tasks without loss of continuity, while balancing priorities to accomplish assigned tasks within the required time frame.
- Ability to work effectively, decisively and flexibly in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Successful working independently as well as part of a team. Have the ability to make independent decisions, but yet know when supervisory assistance is required.
- Excellent writing skills and the demonstrated ability to develop written reports and action plans. Express timely and accurate communication with administration, faculty, students and community members.
- Establish and maintain effective communication & working relationships with internal and external constituents. Ability to accept supervision, assignments, change, and correction.
- Proven effectiveness in dealing with a wide range of professionals, staff, and administrators.
- Maintain a program of personal and professional development appropriate for areas of responsibility.
- Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
- Maintain professionalism when dealing with all staff and other customers while fostering positive working relationships.
- Accept and render constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Adhere to the policies and procedures established by the Texas Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the University of Texas of the Permian Basin.