Librarian/Specialist, Business Intelligence Unit/Liaison to Centers and Institutes (Asst./Assoc.) -- University of Arizona -- Tucson, AZ
Title: Librarian/Specialist, Business Intelligence Unit/Liaison to Centers and Institutes (Asst./Assoc.)
Department: Libraries – Health Sciences (6804)
Location: Main Campus
The University of Arizona Libraries seeks a talented, energetic and proactive librarian who thrives in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment. The successful applicant will be a member of the Libraries’ Business Intelligence Unit (BIU), a dynamic group supporting the licensing and commercialization of University innovation and intellectual property. The incumbent will also actively engage in efforts to foster collaborations and partnerships with constituents in the Centers and Institutes on the health sciences campus, focusing on the strategic priorities of the health sciences and including inter-professional initiatives engaging programs on the general academic campus.
Within in the BIU context, the incumbent will focus on research in pharmaceutical pipelines, medical devices, healthcare innovation, patents and related areas of research and discovery. This position also provides liaison librarian services, including literature research conducted in medical, patent, scientific, business and biomedical databases, in support of the University’s extensive network of biomedical research centers and healthcare institutes. The University of Arizona Libraries provide a wide range of health-related research across all disciplines, including expert search services, support of grant sponsored research and consultation with faculty and scientists.
This is a continuing-eligible or continuing track, academic professional position. Incumbents are members of the general faculty and are entitled to all accompanying rights and privileges granted by the Arizona Board of Regents and the University of Arizona. Retention and promotion are earned through achievement of a record of excellence in position effectiveness, scholarship, and service.
Visit the University Libraries website to learn more about us.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here.
The University of Arizona is an equal opportunity employer providing equal opportunity for women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Search across many databases in the fields of patents, business, market research, medicine, pharmacology, pharmaceutical pipelines, medical devices, competitive intelligence and general academic content.
- Compile and organize information obtained in research projects into coherent, focused collections of information, accompanied by explanatory notes so that the material is readily understood by the client.
- Participate in teleconferences and meetings as a member of the Business Intelligence Unit with our client, Tech Launch Arizona.
- Contribute to the Business Intelligence Unit’s team functions and tasks, enabling the group to accomplish its goals in effective and efficient ways.
- Seek out opportunities to support grant-funded research on the University of Arizona health sciences campuses, with a strong focus on support of innovation, intellectual property and the business of healthcare.
- Cultivate strong relationships with faculty, staff and researchers in health sciences campus Centers and Institutes, and with inter-professional programs of strategic importance on both the health and general academic campuses.
- Support the scholarly publishing of faculty, graduate students and researchers of the University of Arizona.
- Serve as a resource to other librarians in the areas of patents, competitive intelligence, and the business of healthcare, an expanding area of research on the health sciences campus.
- Maintain familiarity with the Libraries information resources, in particular its research databases and health sciences collection.
- UAHSL supports the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to search multiple health sciences/pharmaceutical databases.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive material with the appropriate discretion.
- Ability to manage time well, prioritize effectively and handle multiple deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work in an inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited institution or other relevant advanced degree.
- Evidence of the ability to achieve continuing status (equivalent to tenure), including contributing to the information/library profession and to fulfilling the responsibilities of a library faculty member through service and scholarship.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or medical device industry.
- Experience conducting business, patent, market research, competitive intelligence research.
- Experience in supporting research scientists or university faculty throughout the research life cycle.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job Category: Administrative and Professional
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay: $55,000-$75,000 Annually
Type of criminal background check required:: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number: A22441
Number of Vacancies: One
Limited to Current UA Employees: No
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date: 03/01/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Review Begins On: 04/02/2018
Special Instructions to Applicant
In your letter of interest, please describe how your qualifications and experience are fitting for this position.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings: http://uacareers.com/postings/27072