Librarian – Teen Services -- Waco-McLennan County Library -- Waco, TX
Are you creative, energetic and innovative? Then the Waco-McLennan County Library wants you to join its team. We are searching for someone who is passionate about providing excellent library services to the children and families of Waco and are excited about new challenges.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under general supervision, performs professional-level librarian duties. The incumbent is also responsible for providing quality library service and programming to young adults (typically ages 12 – 18) with diverse backgrounds and abilities. This position also manages assigned library programs and recommends plans, programs and policies for the Waco-McLennan County Library.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide research, reference and information assistance to teens and adults.
- Provide readers' advisory services to teens and adults.
- Research, evaluate, and select materials for the teen collection.
- Maintain order and neatness of materials throughout the teen collection.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of special programs and services for teens to encourage the use of the library by young adults between the ages of 12 and 18 at multiple locations.
- Develops and presents library programs for teens at multiple branches.
- Provides reference service and resource recommendations using print, media and digital resources.
- Provides basic circulation and adult reference service, as needed.
- Substitutes at branches as needed.
- Driving is essential.
- Special knowledge of publishing trends, authors, titles and reading interest of teens.
- Knowledge of teen books and authors required.
- Knowledge of recreational and educational needs of teens required.
- Knowledge of the developmental needs of teens in order to provide the most appropriate resources and services required.
- Knowledge of popular culture, social media platforms, technological advances and current teen and library trends that interest teens required.
- Collection development, evaluation and reference principles.
- Ability to exercise initiative, leadership and independent judgment.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to interact with people of varying personalities and ages in a variety of situations.
- Delivering quality library programs and services to the community.
Education: Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution is required.
- Public Library experience is required.
- Experience working with teens is required.
Apply online at the City of Waco website.