Head of Technical Services/Instructor of Library Services -- Northeastern State University -- Tahlequah, OK
To apply, go here: https://nsuok.peopleadmin.com/postings/4939
Listing Number: 2018-0085F
Job Title: Head of Technical Services/Instructor of Library Services
Description of Position
The Head of Technical Services provides leadership to many of the “behind-the-scenes” functions of the libraries, including the acquisition of library materials; classification, organization, and accessibility of collections both physical and electronic; repair and protection of library materials from normal wear-and-tear; withdrawal of superceded, deselected, and heavily damaged materials; maintenance of bibliographic data for use within NSU and by other libraries; reporting and analysis about the libraries’ holdings; and maintaining relationships with the libraries’ many materials and bibliographic vendors. The Head of Technical Services accomplishes much of this by delegating the work to paraprofessionals under her or his supervision. Technical Services includes Cataloging and Classification, which is one of the most specialized career trajectories in librarianship. The Head of Technical Services must be qualified to train and mentor copy catalogers, and to oversee a complex workflow. Excellent public service begins with precision in the technical services. Without excellent organization, it becomes difficult to connect researchers with appropriate materials. Technical Services provides the organization.
- Coordinate all efforts to maintain intellectual control over NSU Libraries’ collections.
- Recruit, train, supervise, mentor, and evaluate the all Technical Services staff.
- Coordinate and oversee the complex workflow of Technical Services. Make adjustments to workflow in order to optimize precision in intellectual control and efficiency in processing.
- Maintain Library subscribed electronic resources in the Discovery Knowledge Base.
- Provide original cataloging for materials that require it.
- Represent Technical Services on the Library Leadership Team. Communicate with the Executive Director of Libraries and other library leaders regarding initiatives within Technical Services.
- May perform systems management functions in the Technical Services area of the library management system.
- Prepare reports concerning Technical Services functions and library collections for the Executive Director of Libraries.
- Make recommendations to the Executive Director of Libraries about personnel matters, budget needs, and general operational needs of Technical Services.
- Serve on university faculty committees as assigned.
Experience as a professional cataloger is preferred.
Professional master’s degree accredited by the American Library Association or international equivalent.
Anticipated Start Date: 10/01/2018
Information for Applicants
- Faculty teaching may include distance based courses, including hybrid and fully online classes.
- Transcripts may be scanned, saved and uploaded. An official/certified transcript is required upon employment.
- Please include on the application complete contact information for a minimum of three references.
- Northeastern State University is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce as an essential part of excellence in faculty and staff at the University, and complies with Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and equal employment opportunity for VEVRRA protected veterans. NSU actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply for any opening at NSU.