Library Specialist, Senior, User Services and Experience -- Northern Arizona University -- Flagstaff, AZ
At the request of NAU students, Cline Library plans to extend its hours to 24 hours five days a week. We seek two night owls (2 positions available) who find the idea of overnight hours appealing. At this time primary work hours will be: Sunday - Thursday, 10:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. These positions require the flexibility to work extended and non-standard work hours as needed to accomplish objectives.
Only complete applications will be considered. Application must include an attachment that contains: (1) a cover letter highlighting your qualifications for this position; (2) a resume; and (3) names and contact information for three professional references. Please save and submit all items, in the order stated, as a single PDF or Word document.
The position provides overnight oversight of the library and its services. It supervises student employees and contributes to programs and services provided at the Ask Us! Desk, including answering questions via online chat. It processes interlibrary loan requests for Content, Discovery and Delivery Services and 3D print requests for the Cline Library MakerLab. It reports to the Head of User Services and Experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As one of two library staff members during overnight hours, maintain a high level of awareness of library and university policies and engage library users to ensure they are met safely and appropriately. Apply sound decision-making and communicate complex information during interactions. Provide detailed reports for building maintenance, safety, and security issues.
- Supervise student employees, including hiring, training, performance management, and evaluation. Set clear expectations for student employees and coach them to work productively while meeting high quality standards for assigned tasks.
- Provide outstanding customer service to all library users at a very active Ask Us! Desk offering user assistance, including check-out of library materials, equipment, spaces, and more.
- Provide research and referral support in person, by phone, and via chat. Use electronic and print resources to assist NAU and CCC users as well as members of the community. Accurately and appropriately refer customers to subject librarians. Participate in professional development opportunities that strengthen the Cline Library learning environment.
- Process interlibrary loan requests on a nightly basis. Maintain a high level of proficiency and knowledge in searching strategies. Search various databases and document suppliers to find full text articles that patrons can view online.
- Process 3D print requests using MakerBot software. Examine print requests for stability and compliance with MakerLab policies. Troubleshoot print failures including adjusting hardware as needed. Effectively communicate with staff and users regarding print requests and other MakerLab inquiries.
- Actively participate in achieving organizational priorities. Contribute positively to library-wide planning and initiatives.
- Sustain flexibility in work schedule to accommodate shifting priorities of the unit.
- Bachelor's degree AND two years progressively responsible library experience; OR,
- Six years progressively responsible library, information center or related work experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Experience providing research support in an academic library
- Experience with 3D printing and other maker space technologies
- Experience with interlibrary loan and document delivery processes and tools.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in and strong commitment to outstanding customer service in a user-centered environment.
- Experience with library-specific tools including online resources, chat, library service platforms such as Ex Libris Alma/Primo, and/or scheduling tools.
- Ability to use critical thinking and work under pressure to effectively communicate with users in difficult transactions.
- Supervisory experience including hiring, training, evaluation and performance oversight.
- Demonstrated flexibility in adapting to changing technologies, workflows and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct learning.
- Evidence of a high level of productivity and flexibility when working independently or in teams, as changing situations require.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and collegially with people from a diverse and inclusive community.
Salary: $38,186 - $41,186