Head of Library Public Services -- Del Mar College -- Corpus Christi, TX
Posting Number: F0145
This position is open to: Open to All Applicants
Job Title: HEAD OF LIBRARY PUBLIC SERVICES
Position Title/Rank: Instructor
Department: Learning Resources
Position Type: Faculty
Employment Status: Full-Time-Faculty
Salary: Minimum $65,000.00 per 12 months
Open Date: 12/05/2018
Close Date: 01/07/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Effective Date of Employment: 02/04/2019
Job Description Summary
The Head of Library Public Services is responsible for the management and coordination of Del Mar College Library Public Services, which includes Circulation, Reserves, Interlibrary Loan, Reference Services, Information Literacy instruction, Programming and Outreach, and the Student Technology Centers at all Del Mar College campus libraries. The Head of Library Public Services, working with other librarians, the Director of the Stone Writing Center, and the Dean of Learning Resources, ensures the provision of excellent and efficient learning support services and works to promote a positive environment which motivates and empowers colleagues, staff, and students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Works with the Dean and other division leaders to provide progressive, team- oriented leadership
- Promotes the delivery of quality information services in a positive, patron-focused, and learning-centered environment
- Provides an environment that fosters personal and professional employee development
- Provides leadership and support for the library public services functions, including but not limited to circulation, reserves, audiovisual resources, reference services, interlibrary loan, student technology centers, outreach and programming, special collections, assessment, and information literacy instruction
- Promotes partnerships and collaborations with other departments and within the community to encourage and promote Learning Resources’ and the College’s vision and mission
- Provides leadership in the planning, implementation, and assessment of the libraries
- Supervises and trains Library public services faculty and staff.
- Coordinates scheduling of circulation, reference, and instruction services.
- Promotes and provides communication and advocacy of library services via appropriate campus tools (i.e. campus orientations, emails, and social media).
- Facilitates the promotion of the library through library events and programming at each campus
- Provides positive, progressive leadership of the information literacy and instruction program
- Participates in collection development activities and leads collection development for reference resources
- Coordinates library public service functions with other learning support and library service areas
- Ensures that documentation of library public services procedures and procedures manuals are current and up-to-date
- Participates in a variety of departmental, campus, regional and statewide committees and represents campus and institutional issues, ideas, and concerns as appropriate
- Works with the Dean and other leaders to develop and implement annual budgets and staffing for Learning Resources areas
- Works with the Dean and other leaders to develop and implement strategic and institutional effectiveness plans for Learning Resources areas
- Maintains a professional knowledge of library and information science; stays current in developments of specific job related fields.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Job Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to the Del Mar College and Learning Resources visions and missions.
- Thorough knowledge of current library trends, practices, and technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal and teambuilding abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in an often rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to supervise multiple employees at multiple locations.
- Ability to travel to campuses and instructional sites.
- Ability to work nights and weekends when needed.
Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from an American Library Association accredited institution. Minimum of four years of library experience with progressively increasing levels of responsibility in public/customer service.
- Two (2) years related administrative or managerial experience at the professional level.
Recent academic library experience.
- Knowledge of standard computer software programs, the internet, electronic resources and online service delivery technology.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a security-sensitive position. Employment resulting from this advertisement is subject to federal laws that require the verification of identity and the legal right to work in the United States. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background and reference checks. The College reserves the right to cancel or extend all recruitment actions. Del Mar College is an AA/EO employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The College is committed to diversity in its workforce.