Library Director -- Southwestern University -- Georgetown, TX
Director of the A. Frank Smith, Jr. Library Center
Southwestern University invites applications for the position of Director of the A. Frank Smith, Jr. Library Center. Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty, the Library Director provides strategic leadership and a student-centered vision, within a liberal arts and sciences setting, for all aspects of library operations. Alongside a staff dedicated to undergraduate education, the Library Director collaborates with faculty to support the academic mission of the University through the library’s exceptional holdings, services, and learning environments. In a period of change in higher education and in particular in the sector of liberal arts colleges, the Director will have the opportunity to explore new and innovative paths for managing the collection, collaborating with Library staff (which numbers approximately 15), and promoting the user experience.
The A. Frank Smith, Jr. Library Center houses one of the area's finest college libraries, with more than 300,000 catalogued volumes and periodical subscriptions. The Library's Special Collections include the papers of the late Sen. John Goodwin Tower (a Southwestern alumnus), the Clark Texana Collection, and the J. Frank Dobie and Bertha McKee Dobie Collections, both of whom were Southwestern alumni. In keeping with Southwestern University's commitment to diversity, the search committee is especially interested in attracting candidates from underrepresented minority groups, particularly those with demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with the Dean of the Faculty, establish and implement the strategic direction for Library operations to align with the University’s vision, mission, and core values.
- Meet regularly with the leadership team as the Supervisor of the Library’s four areas: Library Resources, Operations, Research and Instruction Services, and Special Collections and Archives.
- Develop and manage the Library budget.
- Demonstrating a dedication to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging within a leadership capacity.
- Facilitate planning for library technology needs by collaborating with Information Technology staff to identify and implement innovative and emerging library technologies for faculty and students.
- Direct and shape a program of instruction activities focused on the use of library resources and technology to produce scholarly work across the curriculum, and integrated with University-wide programmatic efforts such as First-Year/Advance-Entry Seminar and Paideia.
- Advocate for Library enhancements including services, collections, emerging technologies, personnel, and facilities.
- MLS degree (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited library program.
- Seven years of professional library experience in an academic setting, including five years of experience in a management-level position.
- Understanding and commitment to a liberal arts education, including the ability to relate to a liberal arts faculty.
- Record of success in leading library staff effectively and fostering a positive team-based working environment.
- Significant experience in financial planning and budget administration.
- Demonstrated advocacy of the role of the library in meeting the evolving needs of campus constituencies.
- Experience seeking, writing, and administering grants.
- Direct experience with students in a teaching or research role.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated record of innovation while appreciating traditional library services.
Preferred Position Requirements:
- Prior experience (administrative and/or academic) in a small, liberal arts institution.
- Additional advanced degree.
Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern currently enrolls approximately 1,500 students and maintains a student to faculty ratio of 12:1. In addition to a number of other national organizations, Southwestern University is a member of two consortia of liberal arts colleges, the Associated Colleges of the South and the Annapolis Group. Located in Georgetown, Texas, 28 miles north of downtown Austin, Southwestern is affiliated with The United Methodist Church. Southwestern University is committed to fostering a diverse education environment and encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Website at www.southwestern.edu. Information about the Library is also available at www.southwestern.edu/library-and-it/.
To apply: The University will only accept application materials through Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/85137. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Additionally, candidates should respond to the following prompt in 500 words or less: What is the role of the library on an undergraduate, residential, liberal arts and sciences campus?
Applications received by April 1 will receive priority consideration. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee. The entirety of the interview process will be conducted virtually.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of the University’s Background Check Policy process.