Youth Services Library Specialist -- Allen Public Library -- Allen, TX
Salary: $15.82 - $19.38 Hourly
Location: Allen, TX
Job Type: Part Time with TMRS
Job Number: 02323
Closing: 4/14/2021 5:00 PM Central
With over 100,000 residents, the City of Allen is a dynamic and welcoming community. The City of Allen's strong economy, diverse population, great educational institutions and quality of life makes it the ideal place to work, live, and play. The City of Allen has something to offer for everyone.
The City's Mission, is "To achieve excellence in managing development of the community and in providing city services so that conditions of living and public confidence are continually enhanced".
Our employees serve the citizens of Allen with the following values:
- People First – Giving priority to others
- Respect – Treating others with courtesy and dignity
- Integrity – Serving with honesty, trust and hard work
- Deliver – Following through on commitments while exceeding expectations
- Excel – Creating an innovative and improving work environment
Staffs a public service desk, answering questions and taking requests from users, helping users find materials, and making recommendations for either adult's or children's books, authors, and reference materials. Position provides support by monitoring library use and orderliness, and in opening and closing the facility. This position contributes to marketing, planning, and coordinating programs, and designing and creating materials and displays as assigned. This position will provide administrative support and will interface with other City employees and the public. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
- Provides customer service by greeting customers, answering questions both in person and over the phone, directing calls to other staff members, and taking messages.
- Coordinates the safe and proper use of the facility and its equipment by ensuring the facility is clean and orderly, and by supervising patrons.
- Assists in opening and/or closing the facility by organizing desk/work area, maintaining transaction records, activates and shuts down equipment in the area.
- As assigned, assists with programs and special events, providing services as required by the type of event, including designing and developing program information and advertisements; creating and preparing crafts and props for programs; and supervising volunteers. Assists with and develops brochures, signs and other marketing tools.
- Provides administrative support by ensuring operational functions are completed, overseeing the use of library facilities, preparing and keeping statistics. Maintains equipment, materials, supplies and props as necessary.
- Other duties may include providing services for a specified area of the library such as catalog, children's or reference by creating original cataloging, planning children programs and developing adult reference collections.
Additional functions as it relates to the respective Division:
- Develops, plans, and presents creative, educational, and entertaining programs and special events for youth of all ages that encourage lifetime literacy, including programs for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary age children.
- Maintains and highlights children's/teen print and media collections and new books/bestsellers by creating and maintaining displays, book lists, bookmarks, and assisting patrons in locating desired items.
- Monitors children's internet computers and public access catalogs by ensuring that they are working correctly and reports any issues to the IT Department and assists children with logging into computers and accessing age-appropriate web sites.
- Maintains and updates Children's Library bulletin board displays to highlight Youth Services activities.
- Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Under and including one year.
- Work Schedule
This position will be required to work some evenings and weekends.
- Overall Physical Strength Demands
Sedentary - Exerting up to 10 lbs. occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.
Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Advanced - Ability to write editorials, journals, speeches, manuals, or critiques. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives general direction: The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. The employee may choose the appropriate procedure or policy. Performance is reviewed periodically.
- Supervisory / Organizational Control
Job has no responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
- Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
Agency: City of Allen
305 Century Parkway
Allen, Texas, 75013