Music Cataloging and Metadata Librarian -- University of North Texas -- Denton, TX
TITLE: Music Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
University of North Texas Libraries
Apply here: https://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/43313
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The UNT Libraries seeks an innovative thinker with strong people skills to plan, create, and oversee the entry of high-quality metadata for the UNT Music Library (http://www.library.unt.edu/music), including description of digital objects and cataloging of tangible materials. The Music Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will oversee the description of digital collections, including hiring, training, and supervising the student assistants doing this work. They will also perform original and copy cataloging, with an emphasis on audiovisual materials and electronic theses and dissertations. Working under the direction of the Coordinator of Music Technical Services in the Music Library, this position is based at UNT's Denton campus and may be appropriate for partial remote work, subject to approval.
The Music Cataloging and Metadata Librarian serves on library and university committees and workgroups and is active in professional organizations. The successful candidate will contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse audiences and materials, especially as they apply to music technical services. General responsibilities also include staffing the Music Services Desk and Sandborn Music Reading Room as needed.
SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- In consultation with Digital Projects Unit and colleagues in the Music Library, sets direction and maintains standards for metadata creation for Music Library's digitized and born-digital collections, including audio recordings, video recordings, and electronic theses and dissertations.
- Performs original and complex copy cataloging of tangible materials, with an emphasis on audiovisual materials, but potentially sometimes including monographs and scores.
- Works with the College of Music to archive and make available their programs and their audio and video recordings, including managing metadata creation and file processing activities.
- Trains, supervises, and reviews work of student assistants working on metadata and audio cataloging projects.
- Works with Sound Preservationist and Music Special Collections Librarian to plan the metadata for digitization projects.
- Works with the unit head to establish priorities related to assigned areas.
- Contribute to other projects as needed.
- Fosters positive relations with faculty, students, and staff.
- Promotes the University's and Libraries' commitment to diversity through modeling of the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from their self.
- Performs consultation services, guest lectures, and serves on Library and University Committees as needed.
- Is active professionally and contributes to the developments in the field.
Librarian rank will be determined by the Library Personnel Affairs Committee through review of the selected candidate's education, experience, scholarly and professional involvement, and service. Complete information about Librarian rank can be found at https://library.unt.edu/administrative-office/librarian-positions/
Minimum qualifications for the position:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in music; ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information sciences, an international equivalent, or advanced degree in a related field.
- Experience: Relevant experience in a music library, including experience with original music cataloging using current standards and systems.
- Facility and experience with metadata-creation schemas and workflows.
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of major music reference sources.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of inclusion and cultural diversity in description of music materials.
Desired qualifications for the position:
- Education: Graduate degree in music.
- Knowledge of major issues related to digital preservation.
- Evidence of analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust priorities, take initiative, set goals, manage time wisely, and make quick effective decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in a Windows environment and with MS Office applications.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with faculty and staff.
- Knowledge of one or more Western European foreign languages.
- Knowledge of copyright issues as related to music.
- Demonstrated contribution to the profession with scholarly publications and/or presentations and through contributions to professional organizations.
POSITION AVAILABLE: Salary and librarian ranking are commensurate with experience.
The University of North Texas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution committed to diversity in its educational programs, thereby creating a welcoming environment for everyone. The University of North Texas encourages applications from underrepresented groups.