Library Director -- Livingston County Library -- Chillicothe, MO
Position Title: Library Director
Reports to: Board of Trustees
Salary Range: $50,000-$65,000
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Livingston County Library Board of Trustees seeks an energetic library director to manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Library. The director must be a person of high integrity and capable of creating a vision for the Library and possess the skills necessary to bring that vision into reality. The director must have a deep level of commitment in public service to library patrons and staff. Applicants must possess excellent communication and organization skills.
The Livingston County Library is a county library located in Chillicothe, MO and serves the Livingston County area with a two branch system, comprised of a main branch library and a newly opened youth library. There are currently 9 full-time employees, including a Director and two branch managers, as well as 5 part-time staff members. The Livingston County Library serves a population of approximately 15,000 in a rural area located in Northwest Missouri. The Library belongs to the Missouri Evergreen Consortium with a shared open-source ILS and catalog, is a member of the Grand River Consortium, and is a member of Missouri Libraries 2Go.
PRIMARY JOB PURPOSES/DUTIES (includes, but not limited to):
- Advocates for the library in all settings
- Communicates effectively with the Board of Trustees regarding all operations and initiatives, as well as attends all board meetings, prepares a director’s report in advance of each scheduled meeting, delivers these materials to the Board, and be the custodian of records
- Prepares and administers annual operating budget for the library. Directs and supervises the expenditures of library funds and security of physical assets
- Provides strategic leadership for the coordination and management of library services including planning, budgeting, hiring, assignments, and the integrating of emerging technologies and trends
- Seeks external funding in support of strategic library initiatives
- Oversees the daily management of the library, develops and maintains spaces and services, and maintains a collection of library materials in response to the unique needs of the community
- Cultivates, manages, and sustains an organizational culture of respect, teamwork, professional growth, and responsibility while rewarding learning, creativity, ownership, and innovation with staff
- Acts as a library liaison to maintain a good working relationship between the Livingston County Library Charitable Trust, the Evergreen Consortium, Grand River Consortium, community leaders, public officials and groups, professional groups, citizens of Livingston County, and library patrons
JOB QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. Degree, with ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in a supervisory capacity, within library system preferred
- Broad knowledge of library objectives, functions, procedures, and techniques
- Broad computer knowledge with ability to manage Library’s technology services.
- The Director must have sound decision making skills; proven ability to recruit and retain staff through mentoring, coaching, and supervising, a commitment to a high level of public service; budgeting and finance experience; support of diversity and inclusivity as core values, and a desire to be the Library’s representative to external organizations and agencies
- Qualifications are any combination of experience and training that will provide the required knowledge and abilities will qualify. Alternate education, experience, and qualifications may be considered.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- The hiring range is $50,000-$65,000, depending on experience and qualifications
- A benefits package includes a retirement plan through LAGERS, 13.5 hours per month of paid vacation, 8 hours per month of paid sick leave, $400 per month of medical reimbursement (following guidelines), 5 days of immediate family bereavement leave, 3 days of extended family bereavement, paid membership to some professional organizations, and paid holidays off
Interested candidates should either electronically submit an application consisting of a cover letter, current resume, and complete contact information for three professional references to Sadie Beetsma, President of Board of Trustees at email@example.com or mail application information to The Livingston County Library, 450 Locust Street, Chillicothe, MO 64601. Applications being received through end of day May 15th. The Livingston County Library is an equal opportunity employer.