Managing Editor, University Press -- University of North Texas -- Denton, TX
UNT System Overview
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.
Posting Title Managing Editor, University Press
Job Location Denton
Full Time/Part Time Full-Time
Department Summary The University of North Texas Press, a division of UNT Libraries, was established in 1987 and is dedicated to the publication of scholarly, academic and general interest books, with an emphasis on Texana, music, military history, and multicultural topics. We are fully accredited members of the Association of University Presses. The output from UNT Press is approximately 20 books a year.
The University of North Texas is a student-centered public research university with nearly 40,000 students. A Carnegie-ranked Tier One public research university, UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities. UNT has been designated as both a Minority Serving Institution and Hispanic Serving Institution and stands committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in its pursuit of academic excellence. We are big and bold | All About UNT
With 7.5 million people and two international airports, DFW is the fourth-largest metro area in the United States. DFW is racially, ethnically, religiously, and culturally rich and maintains a long-standing commitment to the arts exemplified by local attractions such as the Dallas Arts District and the Fort Worth Cultural District. UNT’s proximity to these major metropolitan centers ensures that our new colleague will be able to access a wide range of activities and cultural experiences. The university also has a generous benefits, leave and perks package.
UNT is located in Denton, Texas, a growing city with a small-town feel and a thriving arts and music scene centered on its downtown Square and is connected by highways and light rail to the major transportation hubs and big-city attractions of Dallas and Fort Worth, about 40 miles away. Want to know more about why you should consider coming
to Denton? Check out Discover Denton.
Manage the editing and production of all publications from launch to printing. Copy edit manuscripts, work with the author on changes, prepare manuscript files for the designer, recruit and work with freelance designers, and check printers’ proofs. Acquire books in select fields from query to peer review, and Editorial Board and contract negotiations. Supervise a student who edits 1-2 books per season.
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and four years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to evaluate potential of manuscripts for publication based on professional criteria.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of sound English composition, grammar, rules of documentation, and requirements for publication.
- Ability to write highly readable, focused copy.
- Ability to edit the works of others, retaining the substance of their content and style while enhancing readability and clarity.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships.
- Organizational skills.
- Knowledge of appropriate safety and security measures related to work environment.
- Copyediting experience, preferably of scholarly books and/or at a university press.
- Acquisitions of book manuscript experience, preferably of scholarly books and/or at a university press.
- We want to emphasize that the preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these preferred skills.
- We strongly encourage those who are passionate about fostering diverse inclusive and equitable libraries to apply.
- We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, especially people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ+ individuals.
Work Schedule Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week
Position may be eligible for Flexible Work Arrangement
Driving University Vehicle No
Security Sensitive This is a security sensitive position.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Classification Title Managing Editor
Physical Requirements Ability to communicate
- Edit all book manuscripts for style, clarity, and consistency doing deep and superficial edits, liaison with authors throughout editing and remaining production process through page proofs.
- Acquire books in managing editor’s areas of acquisitions, receive queries and invite manuscripts for in-house evaluation; recruit peer reviewers, present worthy projects to Editorial Board, negotiate contract terms with author and secure publication contract, check in final manuscripts, launch projects onto seasonal list, and liaison with author throughout process.
- Maintain manuscript and production tracking schedule, ensuring all projects are kept on schedule to publish at appointed times.
- Manage freelance designers for projects and act as liaison with them throughout cover and interior design process.
- Write catalog and jacket copy for acquired titles, secure author approval, and work with Marketing Manager on deadlines to receive blurbs for back jackets.
- Serve as Press representative at meetings, author events, book signings, book exhibits, and selected conferences, seek to acquire book projects at select events.
- Grantwriting: Serve as principal grant writer for Press and apply for grants on specific book projects, track received grants and report as needed.
- Manage records retention per UNT policy and Press book production archives.
- Supervise student workers and interns with editorial projects, delegate select projects to Admin Asst as needed.
- Assist office with help answering phones and greet visitors.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S2510P
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application. Cover letter should include a brief diversity statement explaining how the applicant will contribute to UNT’s commitment to fostering an open, diverse and inclusive community.
Quicklink for Posting https://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/48628