Distance Education Librarian -- Southeastern Oklahoma State University -- Durant, OK
Southeastern Oklahoma State University invites applications for the position of Distance Education Librarian. The position reports directly to the Library Director. This is a twelve-month non-tenure track position with Full-time benefits, including health, vision, retirement, disability, life insurance, 403(b), leave time and holidays. The Distance Education Librarian will perform reference duty and information literacy instruction. The primary duties will be on-line instruction and will include face-to-face instruction as well.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides reference assistance to faculty and students at the Reference Desk, as well as virtually via chat service and askalibrarian.
- Develops and manages distance library services incorporating optimal traditional and technological resources to support academic programs offered at a distance.
- Coordinates development and implementation of a strategic plan to identify institutional priorities and goals for DE.
- Creates, manages, and distributes library materials to assist with instructional design for online courses such as embedded librarian services, tutorials, and LibGuides.
- Locates and creates digital content to support academic instruction
- Explores, evaluates and encourages deployment of emerging technologies into library programs and services.
- Instruction needs include information literacy, instructional design, user services, and first year experience
- Assist faculty with research for professional communications
- Assist students with disabilities in accessing library materials in alternative formats
- Partners with CIDT department for faculty instruction and development materials
- Manages creation and editing of video production.
- Coordinates outreach strategies using the library’s social media platforms.
- Manages usage data (survey, reference, LibGuides and tutorials) for end-of-year reports
- Maintains professional growth and development through participation in professional organizations, reading literature, and attending workshops.
- Serves on Library and University Faculty committees as appointed, elected or requested.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (FUNCTIONS, DUTIES)
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended upon to report to the assigned duty station at the scheduled time. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious, about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside of the University.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the University. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working environment.
- Safety: Employee works safely, attends safety training offered/required, and follows appropriate safety rules and regulations. In relation to level of NIMs training completed, participates in incident management preparation and performs incident duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education: ALA Accredited Master’s Degree of Library and/or Information Studies. New MLS/MLIS graduates considered.
Required Experience: Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Reference experience in a university or college environment via face to face, email, phone or chat.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct face-to-face and online university students in the use of library resources, both electronic and print.
- Strong commitment to information literacy, customer service, and support of the academic and research needs of students, faculty, and staff.
- Knowledge of online databases, electronic resources, and integrated library systems (ILS) as applied to the academic library setting.
- Proficiency with modern information technology
- Experience with a library management system and/or discovery tool
- 1-3 years of professional reference experience in an academic library
- Experience with creating instructional materials for students or patrons in a university or college environment.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching.
- Experience with an Embedded Librarian program.
- Experience with non-traditional, first-generation college students
Preferred Skill sets:
- Springshare products: LibGuides, LibInsights, LibWizard or LibAnswers
- Camtasia and/or Captivate
- OCLCs WorldShare Management System (WMS) and/or WorldCat Discovery
- Social media skills: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- HTML 5
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.