Reader Consultant - Bilingual -- Texas State Library & Archives Commission -- Austin, TX
Division: Talking Book Program
Position Title: Reader Consultant - Bilingual
Apply Now: https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=00017406&tz=G...
Work Location: Lorenzo de Zavala Bldg
1201 Brazos St
Austin, TX 78701
Working Hours: M-F 8-5
Salary Group: A-13
Classification No. 7354/Library Assistant II
Job Posting No. 00017406
Monthly Salary: $2,800 - $3,150 /Month
Date Job Available: October 01, 2021
Please paste the following URL into a browser to view the entire job posting in the CAPPS Career Section: Job Description - Reader Consultant - Bilingual (00017406) (taleo.net)
TSLAC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability in employment or in the provision of services, programs, or activities. For job opening inquiries or to request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act please contact the TSLAC Human Resources office by calling 512-463-5474.
Applications submitted to TSLAC may be subject to public disclosure, upon request, pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields no applicable MOS for Library Assistant or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply. Please call Human Resources at (512) 463-6564 with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=00017406&tz=G...
Performs highly complex (senior-level) library work. The Reader Consultant provides library service via telephone, email, and postal correspondence to patrons who have visual, physical, and reading disabilities in a call center environment. Assists Spanish-speaking and English-speaking library patrons. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Communicate primarily by telephone with blind and print disabled readers to provide library service.
- Continuously update knowledge of collection and WebReads, a web-based library software program, to provide effective library service.
- Update patron records using computer terminal
- Monitor patron service records and take appropriate action to ensure continued service
- Maintain patron files
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Attend work regularly in accordance with agency leave and attendance policies.
- Comply with all applicable agency policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution;
- or Associate’s degree and 2 years work experience in library or call center environment;
- or High School Diploma or GED, and 4 years work experience in library or call center environment
- Fluency in Spanish, with ability to converse with patrons and to discuss books effectively in Spanish
- Experience providing service to the public
- Experience working in an office/clerical environment
- Experience using a computer and standard desktop software.
- Ability to complete all job tasks accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to handle complaints and resolve problems with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to organize and plan work assignments to ensure daily deadlines are met
- Enthusiasm and interest in promoting library service for readers with disabilities
- Ability to hear and understand speech to interact with co-workers and patrons in person and by telephone using headphones
- Ability to work at a desk for extended periods of time
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an American Library Association-accredited program
- College courses in literature, history, or other humanities
- Experience taking or making calls in a call center
- Experience working in an automated library environment
- Experience working in a talking book library
- Experience working with persons with disabilities
- Braille proficiency
Submit all college transcripts with application
- Reports to Manager, Reader Services and works under a Reader Consultant Team Leader
- This position does not supervise any staff.