Sr. Library Specialist -- University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Sr. Library Specialist (PCL Desk Evening and Weekend Supervisor) – University of Texas Libraries – Austin, TX
The Senior Library Specialist serves as the evening and weekend supervisor of the Perry-Castañeda Library, the main library on the University of Texas at Austin campus. This position provides leadership for a cohort of undergraduate and graduate student workers at a busy service point for circulating library materials and providing research and technical assistance.
The University of Texas Libraries welcomes and respects all individuals and communities by valuing and consciously maintaining awareness of diverse perspectives and experiences. We believe inclusivity is critical to fostering excellence in all of our endeavors, and we promote diversity in our collections and the services that we provide as well as in our recruiting, hiring, and retention practices.
- Oversee Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) Desk activities during evenings and weekends. Lead a team of undergraduate and graduate student workers. Represent the UT Libraries and interpret policies for library users.
- Provide users with research help and referrals to UT Libraries staff members and departments. Oversee circulation of library materials. Orient library users to UT Libraries resources and services. Assist users with printing, computers and scanners.
- In conjunction with daytime supervisor, hire student employees each semester and as needed. Train new student employees on department processes and procedures ensuring excellent customer service for library users. Schedule and supervise student employees with an emphasis on mentorship that allows them to prioritize their academic endeavors while balancing the commitments of their position at UT Libraries.
- Evaluate student employees and redirect as needed, monitor service quality at the PCL Desk, and collaborate with Libraries Assessment Team on organizational assessment efforts.
- Partner with UT student success programs, such as University Writing Center and Sanger Learning Center, to build relationships and strengthen service learning for UT Libraries.
High school diploma (or GED) and four years of library work experience.
Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-tasking environment while maintaining attention to detail.
Experience with an integrated library system (ILS).
Experience staffing a service desk in a public or academic library.
Strong customer service skills.
Willingness and ability to interact professionally and courteously with UT students, faculty and staff, and the public.
Willingness and ability to communicate with patrons from diverse populations using diplomacy and discretion at all times.
Commitment to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all library users.
Demonstrated ability to effectively make decisions, manage workflows, and solve problems.
Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative.
Demonstrated strong work ethic.
Demonstrated evidence of strong interpersonal skills and effective communication skills (both written and verbal).
Ability to maintain scheduled hours.
Ability to work with limited supervision and as a member of a team.
Commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Bachelor's degree and more than required experience.
Direct experience related to job functions.
Experience with Alma LSP.
Demonstrated flexibility in structuring duties.
Strong organizational, administrative, and supervisory skills demonstrated by previous employment experience.
Experience leading a team of student workers on a college or university campus.
Experience with scanning equipment and software.
Experience performing circulation functions and providing reference services in an academic library.
Experience opening/closing library facilities.
Research indicates that applicants with marginalized identities are hesitant to apply for positions if they do not meet all of the qualifications. We want to emphasize that although experience in certain areas is desirable, candidates who meet the required qualifications or equivalencies, demonstrate excellent promise, and a passion for the field are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration. Opportunities for training, mentorship, and support from individuals with a variety of skill sets exist locally, regionally, and nationally.
$38,000 + depending on qualifications