Head of Collection and Instruction Division -- New Mexico Highlands University -- Las Vegas, NM
Position: Librarian – Head of Collection and Instruction Division
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Job Type: Regular
The Librarian – Head of Collection and Instruction Division, is responsible for the library’s resources (monographs, online databases, and artwork). The librarian collaborates with faculty regarding collection development. Under the general direction of the Library Director, the Head of Collection and Instruction Librarian oversees and supervises the Acquisitions and Fine Arts sections. The librarian coordinates and schedules the 1-credit hour library research courses; coordinates bibliographic instruction for individual classes; and coordinates library orientation tours. In addition, teaches the 1-credit hour research course and provides bibliographic instruction for individual classes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise, train, and schedule library associates, technicians, clerks and student assistants.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, measure, and evaluate work activities;
- Prepare monthly statistical reports and other reports as needed;
- Be familiar with the selection policies and update as needed;
- Analyze the collection for appropriateness, subject depth, currency, and other criteria;
- Weed the collection as needed;
- Review sources (Choice) for the selection of materials for possible purchase;
- Oversee and evaluate the selection of materials, including print, electronic, A-V and reference;
- Coordinate and oversee the purchases of the other librarian subject specialists, considering content and budget needs;
- Acquire bibliographies for selection of resources;
- Analyze use and appropriateness of online resources;
- Analyze use and appropriateness of reference and standing orders in concert with the Head of the Public Services Division;
- Coordinate and teach one-credit hour Library Research Course;
- Develop and prepare library instruction curricula;
- Coordinate and teach bibliographic instruction in the library and throughout NMHU;
- Develop and maintain print and online library material budgets;
- Oversees the organizing and prioritizing of the Fine Arts Section, Ray Drew Gallery;
- Provide assistance at the Reference Desk, as well as provide research assistance to patrons in person and via phone, mail, email, and chat (Online helpdesk) on a rotational basis;
- Assist users in using library resources, providing information on library services, facilities, regulations and standard references.
- Participate as a member of the University Faculty committees;
- Meet with donors, accept, process and manage the donations to the library;
- Coordinate with other libraries for the transfer of materials;
- Use OCLC WorldShare Management System for acquisitions, collection development, and circulation tasks;
- Meet and negotiate with vendors regarding online and print purchases;
- Read job-related information and research concerning aspects of library development, publication, and involvement in library associations;
- Maintain regular attendance;
- Perform any other Library related activity as instructed by the Library Director.
Minimum Job Requirements
- EDUCATION: A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited university.
- EXPERIENCE: None
Professional library or academic library experience in collection development and/or bibliographic instruction.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
- Occasional out-of-town travel for meetings and conferences using a personal or company vehicle.
- Willing to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and odd hours.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of information technology;
- Windows based operating systems;
- Microsoft office products;
- Evaluate and select instructional resources;
- Present information in a class situation;
- Analytical, problem solving and organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Possess supervisory experience;
- Demonstrate a commitment to working in a team environment as well as commitment to diversity, continuous improvement, and the university philosophy
- Repetitive hand motions, prolonged use of computer-Frequently
- Lifting up to 40 pounds-Occasionally
- Work is performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- Work in dirty/dusty conditions occasionally
- Occasionally work around fumes/odors
Pay Rate: 50,523.20
Work Location/Campus: Center Las Vegas, NM Campus
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email email@example.com
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number: AS597P
Open Date: 01/16/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional references in online application; 4) copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Quick Link: https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/7424