Children’s Librarian -- Joe Barnhart Bee County Library -- Beeville, TX
Listing Closes: Open until Filled
Position Description: Plans, organizes, directs, and manages all aspects of Children's Library services in conformity with the mission and policies established by the Library Board of Trustees and the Library Director. Assumes responsibility for all staff and the building in the absence of the Director.
Institution: Joe Barnhart Bee County Library Type of Library: Public City: Beeville, Texas Annual Salary: commensurate with experience Salary Comment: Open until filled Telephone: (361) 362-4901
Fax: (361) 358-8694 Email Address: email@example.com Website Address: www.bclib.org
Required Education: Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution required or completion of degree within 3 years of hire date. Spanish language skills are preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public libraries
- Knowledge of the principles of library administration, including collection development, planning, coordination, and budgeting
- A working knowledge of computer applications for library services
- Knowledge of the needs and abilities of children and the available library materials and services
- Ability in oral and written communications
- Ability to administer the activities of a children's library service and supervise the work of others
- Considerable ability to develop short and long-term development, operations plans, and programs for children's library service
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies and the general public.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Develops and conducts programs for children, young adults and parents which encourage reading, viewing, and listening skills and the use of the library facilities and materials in conjunction with Program Coordinator
- Coordinates program planning with schools to ensure complementary services to students in conjunction with Program Coordinator.
- Serves as a liaison to community agencies serving children
- Provides reference service to children, parents, and teachers and provides reader advisory service
- Assists in promoting library use, especially programs and services of children's service
- Creates bibliographies, user guides, promotional materials, and publicity spotlighting Children's Department collections, services, and programs
- Creates displays to enhance the library experience and to promote use of library resources
- Prepares regular narrative and statistical reports for the Library Director
- Administers and controls Children's Library budget expenditures to stay within appropriate levels
- Selects all materials for Children's and Teen Library
- Evaluates children's collection for balance and comprehensiveness
- Schedules withdrawals of children's materials
- Directs the daily operation of the Children's Library to ensure the highest quality service as established by library policy
- Maintains working knowledge of contemporary issues, trends and technology in the library profession by attending workshops, professional meetings, and reading current literature
- Participates in job related activities of professional and community organizations
- Assumes responsibility for all staff, public and library building in the absence of the Director
- Performs duties in other library areas and participates in library special projects as needed or as requested by Director.
Contact: Rosie Amaya.
Please submit: cover letter, resume, transcripts, and three professional references along with application available at www.bclib.org. Submission may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Attn: Library Director, Joe Barnhart Bee County Library, 110 W. Corpus Christi St, Beeville Texas 78102.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.