Cataloging and Metadata Librarian -- University of Houston-Clear Lake -- Houston, TX
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian provides leadership, guidance, and expertise to the team for original, adjusted and copy cataloging, and bibliographic control for a wide range of materials in various formats as well as metadata for library digital projects. The position leads the planning, evaluation and implementation of metadata and cataloging policies, standards, procedures, workflows, as well as represents the library in implementing cataloging policies and procedures.
- Produces original and complex copy cataloging in a variety of formats for the library collections and Archives and Special Collections materials according to national, shared system, and local standards; performs general catalog maintenance such as bibliographic records enhancement, reclassification, and subject analysis using MARC/RDA format.
- Collaborates with other library units to develop, implement, assess, and refine metadata workflows, policies, and procedures for the library's digital collections within Institutional Repository.
- Trains cataloging staff in cataloging/metadata standards, new technology applications, systems, and tools to continuously improve cataloging/metadata efficiency and quality; supervises daily operations of a copy cataloger and student workers.
- Maintains Cataloging Procedures manual to document all current cataloging and processing procedures. Compiles statistical reports regarding bibliographic data of collection.
- Oversees and maintains the library's government documents collection to ensure compliance with FDLP regulations.
- Serves as a library faculty liaison and participates in collection development for assigned disciplines.
- Participates in scholarly and professional activities, including publication of journal articles and book reviews, and presentations at regional and national professional conferences, which contribute to the practice of academic librarianship.
- Participates in and contributes to departmental, library, and campus-wide, system-wide committees or working groups as well as the profession at a regional, national, and/or international level and performs related duties as assigned.
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA-accredited school.
- Minimum one year of cataloging experience in an academic library environment.
- Knowledge of current descriptive and subject cataloging practices such as RDA, AACR2, LCSH, LCC, MARC21 formats, and authority control.
- Knowledge of one or more non-MARC metadata formats, especially EAD, Dublin Core.
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to library services.
- Demonstrated experience in using cataloging tools such as OCLC Connexion and MarcEdit to perform original and complex copy cataloging within an Integrated Library System.
- Proficiency in use of various PC applications (ex. Word, Excel) and assessment or visualization tools.
- Knowledgeable of integrated library systems, such as ALMA/ Primo.
- Ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a collegial and diverse environment.
- Second Master's degree.
- At least one year of supervisory experience.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Resume, Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Notes to Applicant:
Full-time position with benefits. Background check required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume and a cover letter. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.