Research Data Initiatives Librarian -- Oklahoma State University -- Stillwater, OK
The Oklahoma State University Library seeks applicants for the position of Research Data Initiatives Librarian. This position is a member of the OSU Library faculty reporting to the Director of Scholarly Services and Research Engagement. This is a tenure-track position with anticipated initial appointment at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor. The Research Data Initiatives Librarian will work to expand the library’s outreach to the OSU research community and increase awareness of services in the areas of data management and information and data literacy. The position will create and implement effective and sustainable programs and tools in order to meet the needs of faculty and researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, and library staff. Additionally, the position will entail academic department liaison responsibilities. We expect some technical experience, but are primarily interested in a candidate’s curiosity and willingness to grow and develop as a professional, as well as their ability to help others grow and learn as part of a community. This position will be a vital part of a highly collaborative library team that seeks to learn together and support each other.
- Research data services
- Engage and support researchers in the areas of data management planning, funder/publisher data requirements, publication and citation of data, promotion of open data, and locating relevant data sets for use in research projects
- Carpentries and data literacy instruction
- Manage the Library’s Data and Software Carpentries workshops
- Identify data literacy gaps and develop appropriate instructional materials and opportunities to meet student and faculty needs
- Advocate for culture change and policies to advance data instruction and data intensive research at OSU
- Engage researchers in discussions of institutional data management policies and best practices through the Coalition for Advancing Digital Research and Education (CADRE) and other campus initiatives
- Encourage and promote open data, data justice, and FAIR data practices across disciplines, in line with the institution’s mission to connect people across the nation and the world with vital research
- As library liaison, and in collaboration with other functional specialist librarians in the Research and Learning Services Division, support the instruction, research, and collection development needs of the Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, and Chemistry departments
- A master’s degree is required. While we anticipate that many applicants will have an ALA accredited master’s in library/information science, we are also interested in applicants with a relevant mix of education and experience
- Experience with research-related data responsibilities in an academic or research environment
- Experience with and/or knowledge of current tools, trends, and approaches in data services, including the curation, discovery and use of open data sets
- An appreciation for diversity and the ability to foster an inclusive and collaborative environment
- Interact with the public in a friendly manner, successfully complete multiple projects, meet deadlines, and adjust to evolving campus needs
- Communicate complicated ideas effectively and listen well
- Work effectively and cooperatively with faculty, students, and staff to foster collaborative partnerships inside and outside the library in order to build community and connections
- Meet university requirements for tenure, including scholarly and creative activities and service
Candidates are encouraged to view Dean Sheila Johnson’s expectations for Library leaders and general information about the Library: https://library.okstate.edu/about/dean-of-libraries/.
The salary is a minimum $55,000 annually for a 11-month appointment with a generous holiday schedule, health care plans, and retirement options. As a new library faculty member, you will receive start-up funding for research and/or professional travel and have access to the Library’s grant writer and development team as well as a full communication team.
Deadline: Application review begins on October 17, 2022 and continues until the position is filled. For consideration of your application materials, you should apply through the University’s website at https://hr.okstate.edu/employment-opportunities. Questions about the application process may be directed to Clarke Iakovakis, Director of Scholarly Services and Research Engagement, at email@example.com. Candidates will be asked to deliver a presentation to faculty and staff. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check.
Oklahoma State University is committed to excellence in diversity and inclusion and has received over twenty-five awards for their efforts and progress in this area. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from members of underrepresented groups and strongly encourage women and persons of color to apply for open positions.
OSU is an AA/EEO/E-Verify Employer. Hiring contingent upon available funding.