Librarian II, Youth Services -- Fort Bend County Libraries -- Sugar Land, TX
Date Posted: 03/06/2023
Job No: 2023-5166
FORT BEND COUNTY
DEPARTMENT: FIRST COLONY BRANCH LIBRARY
JOB TITLE: LIBRARIAN II – YOUTH SERVICES
Fort Bend County is ranked as one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. We have capitalized on not only the creed of our location, but on the "quality of life" for our families to call home. Our employees are the key to our success and the heartbeat of our foundation. The diversity and inclusivity of our community is our strength and at the forefront of a workplace environment welcoming to all. Live Here! Work Here!
Provides professional library services in a branch library or central library department. May oversee the daily activities of a central library department or branch library to ensure effective use of the facilities.
Participates in planning of programs, policies or objectives for own work group and department.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interacts with library patrons to assist them in selecting materials and meeting informational needs. Searches on-line catalog, databases and print sources to answer complex patron inquiries.
- Directs assigned staff and oversees activities in a branch or central library department.
- Keeps statistical records of unit activities and prepares appropriate reports.
- Performs collection development; recommends materials for selection, prepares orders, weeds damaged and outdated materials.
- Attends conferences, training and workshops as appropriate. May attend monthly collection development and database meetings.
- Provides guidance and support to staff in the use of bibliographic and computer-assisted services.
- Represents the library system at schools, community groups or professional associations. Plans and conducts tours and programs for adults and/or children.
- Recommends changes in policies and procedures.
- In the Youth Services Department, plans, conducts and oversees story time, Summer Reading Club programs and other youth-related activities.
- Interviews, trains, prepare work schedules, supervise and reviews performance of assigned staff. Recommends selection of new employees, employee transfers/promotions, disciplining and discharging employees.
- Assists in creating, maintaining, and checking-in serial records.
- Assists in developing department procedure manuals.
- Participates in activities and duties related to emergency management during a local state of disaster as directed by appropriate county managers.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited school.
- Two years job related experience; post MLS experience preferred.
- Computer skills.
- Good verbal and written communication.
- Supervisory and organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with the public, other employees and elected officials.
- Ability to complete assigned projects in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of current library practices and technologies in the department.
- Requires evening and weekend work as assigned.
SALARY RANGE: $27.15 - $33.93 hourly based on qualifications
CLOSING DATE: Upon filling position
All full-time and part-time employees are members of the Texas County District Retirement System (TCDRS). Full-time employees also enjoy a wide-range of great benefits.
Fort Bend County is an equal opportunity employer, committed to non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy status (including childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected military and veteran status, political affiliation or beliefs, or any other classification protected by state, federal and local laws, unless such classification is a bona fide occupational qualification.
For more information on Fort Bend County's Title VI / Nondiscrimination Statement, visit www.fbctx.gov/comply
To be considered for employment, all interested candidates must complete the required Fort Bend County online employment application located at www.fortbendcounty.jobs