Data Services Specialist -- Rice University -- Houston, TX
The Data Services Specialist leads Fondren Library's services focused on research data, including the discovery, analysis, visualization, and management of data. The Data Services Specialist conducts consultations, workshops, and other programming and develops data services that support Rice University’s teaching and research mission.
Reporting to the Assistant University Librarian for Digital Scholarship and Organizational Development, the successful candidate builds relationships with faculty, staff, and students, promotes data literacy, and devises strategies to meet emerging needs. They also help to identify and access relevant datasets; assist in developing and implementing policies, practices, and outreach for Fondren Library’s data repository services; and support scholars in working with data across the research lifecycle.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to collaboration, excellent communication and outreach skills, a keen enthusiasm for learning, outstanding problem-solving skills, and good knowledge of statistics and data analysis methods.
First consideration date: September 27, 2023
Work Schedule: This position offers 2 days of work from home and 3 days in the office (3 months from the start date).
Salary: $60,000 - $70,000
- Master’s degree in quantitative social science, statistics, computer science, library and information science, or other relevant discipline
- In lieu of the education requirement, additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year-for-year basis may be substituted
- Three years of experience supporting users in a research or educational environment through workshops, consultations, or other modes of teaching and engagement
- In lieu of the experience requirement, additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year-for-year basis may be substituted
- Skills Required
- Basic knowledge of statistics, data visualization techniques, and data analysis tools
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technical skills
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to negotiate issues with people from different parts of the library
- Ability to identify challenges and opportunities, to engage others in their resolution, and to recommend appropriate courses of action
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate online resources in terms of content quality, functionality, and user interface issues
- Ability to independently perform complex job functions such as developing policies for data repository services
- Expert knowledge of language, technical, and/or subjects appropriate to job specialization
- Consistent display of strong verbal and written communication skills
- Provides in-depth research consultations on data discovery, management, analysis, visualization, and publishing
- Develops and delivers workshops and instructional resources on analyzing, visualizing, and managing data
- Develops, implements, and promotes data repository services
- Assist researchers in curating and sharing data
- Conducts outreach for data services
- Evaluates academic needs in data literacy and collaborates with faculty to integrate data literacy into the classroom and independent learning
- Stays current on trends in data curation, data science, research data management, statistics, and related domains
- Evaluates and recommends to management regarding plans, operations, and policies for a library unit
- Teaches classes, leads tours, and/or provides demonstrations of library resources
- May supervise staff or student staff
- Conducts outreach to academic departments
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with best practices for research data management and data curation
- Demonstrated knowledge of data information literacy competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of freely available and licensed data resources
- In-depth knowledge of open-source data analysis tools such as R or Python
- Experience with project management
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as a full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID-19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies.
Boasting a 300-acre tree-lined campus in Houston, Rice University is ranked among the nation’s top 20 universities by U.S. News & World Report. Rice has a 6-to-1 undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio, and a residential college system, which supports students intellectually, emotionally and culturally through social events, intramural sports, student plays, lectures series, courses and student government. Developing close-knit, diverse college communities is a strong campus tradition, which is why Rice is highly ranked for best quality of life and best value among private universities.