Digital & Technical Services Librarian -- Texas A&M University-Texarkana -- Texarkana, TX
Position Title: Librarian III
Business Title: Digital & Technical Services Librarian
Reports to: Dean of University Libraries
Title Code: U8623
Pay Grade: Commensurate
FLSA Status: Exempt
Annual Work Period: 12-month
Full-Time/Part Time (If part-time, provide FTE %): Full-time
Job Location: Texarkana, Texas
Salary Information $50,000
Revision Date: 01/18/2024
Apply here: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TAMUT_External
The Librarian III – Digital & Technical Services, under direction, coordinates the catalog department in the cataloging, classifying, accessing, linking, and labeling of library materials so they are accessible. Oversees the daily operations of archive collections, responsible for processing manuscripts and historical collections, maps, photos, sound recordings, and videos.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes original cataloging and prepares and revises work forms for input into the online system with proper fixed fields, tags, indicators, and delimiters. Searches records and sets holdings. Exports records to the library services platform
- Examines materials, organizes, and takes appropriate physical preservation actions. Creates finding aids for access. Creates digital copies of documents and artifacts and assigns metadata elements.
- Performs reference interviews and consults finding aids and digital indexes to locate resources,.
- Catalogs and classifies new monographs, serials, periodicals, open sets, and basic call number series, as well as serial materials in electronic formats using accepted cataloging rules, Library of Congress
(LC) subject headings, LC classification schedules, and machine-readable cataloging standards. Re-catalogs old titles as necessary.
- Creates and updates bibliographic records; searches, interprets, and verifies bibliographic records or other data on automated systems; transfers and receives information electronically from one system to another; reviews and corrects online error reports.
- Creates, maintains, or adjusts policies in library services platform’s configuration, such as locations, loan policies, hours, fines, etc. on the staff side and search filters, sort order, and display on the public-facing side.
- Assists campus Marketing and IT staff with library web page maintenance. Facilitates/troubleshoots off-campus access for library resources. Evaluates workflows to maximize efficiency and enhance effective access to electronic resources. Responsible for the accuracy and appearance of the bibliographic data entered in the library’s online catalog.
- Help plan and coordinate deselection of library materials.
- Trains and supervises processing work of student assistants and project staff.
- Serves as liaison to faculty to assist with library instruction and research needs. Interprets and clarifies class assignments and individual queries, compiles bibliographies, and directs users to appropriate library sources, in all formats.
- Assists in library planning, policy development, evaluation and organization of library materials, collection development, and makes purchase and budget recommendations for assigned functional areas. Assists in developing and implementing long and short-term plans, goals, objectives, and strategic activities for the library and the university.
- Serves on library and university committees as appointed.
- Cooperates as a team member with library staff in performing any professional or non-professional duties essential to the achievement of efficient library operations.
- Conducts outreach and collection development for the university archives, including annual compilation and indexing of local news coverage related to the institution, by working with campus and community stakeholders, including TAMUT employees, students, and alumni, as well as members of the surrounding community.
- This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree in Library Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Four years of related experience in an academic library setting
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications
- Knowledge of document preservation and digitization of rare materials
- Knowledge of creating print and electronic finding guides for special collections and archives
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, presentation, and research skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and as a team leader.
- Ability to exert moderate force and/or move medium weight boxes, books, heavy book trucks or similar items.
- Ability to handle material which can contain dust or microscopic mold spores
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of LC classification, LC subject headings, MARC formats and AACR2
- Experience using library services platforms.
- Experience with OCLC
- Knowledge of copyright, intellectual property, and rights management
- Experience in archival digitization technologies and digital asset management
- Knowledge of Springshare’s LibGuides, LibAnswers and other modules.
- Supervisory experience
- Two years cataloging experience
- Work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends
- Skill sets in computer and media literacy with knowledge of managing digital resources.
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL:
This position generally supervises employees.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned. This position description is not an employment agreement or contract.
The University has the exclusive right to alter this description at any time with or without notice.
Security Sensitive Position – Background Check will be conducted.