Deputy State Librarian -- Kansas State Library -- Topeka, KS
Job ID: 211825
Location: Shawnee County
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Agency: State Library
Apply here: https://kslib.info/1457/Employment
It is the mission of the State Library to improve the lives of Kansas residents by providing resources that:
- will deliver 21st Century library services and resources to all Kansans and help all Kansans be successful in a global market
- increase reading readiness and on-grade reading acuity,
- improve chances for academic success,
- help start and grow businesses,
- assist individuals with employment opportunities, and
- provide lifelong educational services
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Work Schedule: M-F 8-5
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Application Due: Open until filled
Salary Range: $65,000 to $75,000
Note: Salary can vary depending upon education, experience, or qualifications.
- First day of employment coverage under the State Employee Health Plan (SEHP) for medical and prescription drug coverage and dental plan.
- Additional voluntary options including vision, hospital indemnity, accident and critical illness insurance plans and flexible spending accounts.
- SEHP members and their covered family members have access to the HealthQuest Health Center at 9th and Kansas Avenue in Topeka for in person and virtual health care services.
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Position Summary: Deputy State Librarian
Oversees State Library Operations
Provides administrative and technical direction for the day-to-day operations of the Reference Services Division, the Statewide Services Division, and the Talking Books Division. Supervises and evaluates the directors of these divisions. Works closely with the State Librarian and the Office of Personnel Services to address human resource issues. Prepares well informed reports for the State Librarian regarding operations and any issues that may arise, and makes high level recommendations to the State Librarian regarding final decisions.
Helps coordinate and actively participates in administrative team and staff meetings. Assists the State Librarian with the development and implementation of the agency budget, strategic plan, policies, procedures, and other tasks. At the request of the State Librarian, represents the agency at legislative hearings, executive branch meetings, internal agency meetings, regional system meetings, and public events. As second in the order of succession, this position is delegated authority in the extended absence of the State Librarian to ensure the ongoing operations of the agency. The position also serves as the reconstitution manager and backup Continuity of Operations Planning manager.
Manages the Kansas Center for the Book
Serves as the state liaison to the national program administered by the Library of Congress and represents the state at the National Book Festival. Coordinates the Notable Books program by recruiting committee members, compiling a bibliography of books to be considered, scheduling meetings with the committee to consider books, presenting the final list to the State Librarian, notifying the authors, and organizing the awards presentation at the Book Festival. Coordinates the Kansas Reads to Preschoolers program by recruiting committee members, compiling a list of books to consider, scheduling meetings with committee to consider books, presents the final list to the State Librarian, and works with the Communications Coordinator to develop marketing materials and programming.
Other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in library science, information science, or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution. Valid Kansas driver’s license.
- Five years of professional library work experience required.
- Three years of experience serving as a library administrator required.
- Previous experience supervising staff required.
- Previous experience with collection development, reference services, electronic resource management, digitization projects, and/or services for the print disabled preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from varying backgrounds.
- Ability to lead and collaborate with coworkers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to problem solve and apply critical thinking skills needed to analyze and resolve situations.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement with minimal supervision.
Post Offer Requirement:
State of Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate. The successful applicant (even non-residents) must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website within 10 days of the date the applicant has been offered the employment position. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact (785) 296-3199. Visit the Tax Clearance site for more information on and where to obtain this Kansas Department of Revenue document.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Kim Warren
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the recruiter.